Pycuda issues after updating from 4.0.2 to 4.1.1 - gcc related?

We have been successfully using cryosparc on a large and shared HPC resource of our
university for a while. Today I tried to update from v4.0.2 (which was running
without issues) to 4.1.1 with patch 230110. However, after the update
jobs (e.g. ab-initio) aborted with Module not Found errors specifying
that pycuda wasn’t found:

Therefore, I tried a manual update on the worker node as described on the guide (Software Updates and Patches - CryoSPARC Guide). This showed that indeed pycuda is failing to install:

Installing collected packages: pycuda
  DEPRECATION: pycuda is being installed using the legacy 'setup.py install' method, because the '--no-binary' option was enabled for it and this currently disables local wheel building for projects that don't have a 'pyproject.toml' file. pip 23.1 will enforce this behaviour change. A possible replacement is to enable the '--use-pep517' option. Discussion can be found at https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/11451
  Running setup.py install for pycuda ... error
  error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× Running setup.py install for pycuda did not run successfully.
  │ exit code: 1
  ╰─> [11067 lines of output]

However I am unsure why as nvidia-smi finds both GPUs and nvcc is present. As the log shows errors related to gcc: could this be related to the error that was addressed with v.4.1.1?

gcc -Wno-unused-result -Wsign-compare -fwrapv -Wall -O3 -DNDEBUG -fPIC -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB=1 -DBOOST_THREAD_BUILD_DLL=1 -DBOOST_MULTI_INDEX_DISABLE_SERIALIZATION=1 -DBOOST_PYTHON_SOURCE=1 -Dboost=pycudaboost -DBOOST_THREAD_DONT_USE_CHRONO=1 -DPYGPU_PACKAGE=pycuda -DPYGPU_PYCUDA=1 -DHAVE_CURAND=1 -Isrc/cpp -Ibpl-subset/bpl_subset -I/opt/rrzk/lib/cuda/11.3/include -I/projects/strubitem/software/cryosparc-v3.2-centos7.9/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/numpy/core/include -I/projects/strubitem/software/cryosparc-v3.2-centos7.9/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/include/python3.8 -c bpl-subset/bpl_subset/libs/python/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.cpp -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-cpython-38/bpl-subset/bpl_subset/libs/python/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.o
      In file included from bpl-subset/bpl_subset/boost/python/handle.hpp:10:0,
                       from bpl-subset/bpl_subset/boost/python/converter/arg_to_python_base.hpp:7,
                       from bpl-subset/bpl_subset/libs/python/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.cpp:6:
      bpl-subset/bpl_subset/boost/python/cast.hpp: In function ‘void pycudaboost::python::detail::assert_castable(pycudaboost::type<Target>*)’:
      bpl-subset/bpl_subset/boost/python/cast.hpp:73:20: warning: typedef ‘must_be_a_complete_type’ locally defined but not used [-Wunused-local-typedefs]
             typedef char must_be_a_complete_type[sizeof(T)];
                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some additional information:

• the worker node is running with a dual A100, using the 510.47.03 driver version and CUDA 11.6
  • gcc is version 7.4.0
  • and nvcc is version 11.3.58

Welcome to the forum @doesnotdiffract. Please can you post the error message in your first post as text so users with a similar problem can find this topic more easily. Thanks.

Regretfully, I don’t have the error message from within the cryosparc interface anymore - the actual compiler errors are in the text blocks though.

Anycase, we could solve this issue by compiling cryosparc v4.1.2 using a combination of cuda 11.3 (cuda 11.5 failed, too) and gcc 7.4.0.

What operating system and version do you use? Was gcc-7.4.0 installed as a system package?

Dear @wtempel,
the operating system on the cluster is a CentOS 3.10.0-1160.76.1.el7.x86_64. Not sure about the gcc-7.4.0. package as the modules have been installed centrally the HPC admin team. gcc --version gives the default response

gcc (GCC) 7.4.0
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

but we have two gcc modules on the cluster: gnu/7.4.0, which didn’t work, and intel/2021_gnu_7.4.0 that worked. CPUs on our work node are intel based…