Local refinement error (cryoSPARC v4.5.3)

Hi, I’m currently using cryoSPARC v4.5.3 and got the following error during local refinement job

I used the mask having the local region created by chimera saved as same box size and binarized with Volume Tools to use it as local refinement input

Neither using the specified fulcrum value (measured in chimera) nor the default mask center or box center), i encounter the error above image.

I think the error is due to input mask because the local refinement job is working when i used the non-uniform refinement dynamic mask. However, when i used cryoSPARC v4.4.1, there are no problems with same mask creation method (chimera segger → import volume → volume tool). What should i do?

• When i used gaussian prior option with default static mask option, it’s not working, but dynamic mask option successfully give the result. Are there any reasons why these coordination cause the error?

Welcome to the forum @LDE .
Please can you post the Traceback as text to improve the searchability of the forum.

Sorry for late reply.

[CPU:   9.07 GB  Avail:1011.49 GB]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/cryosparc_user/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/jobs/runcommon.py", line 2294, in run_with_except_hook
    run_old(*args, **kw)
  File "/home/cryosparc_user/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.10/threading.py", line 953, in run
    self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
  File "cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py", line 2714, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.process.work
  File "cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py", line 2766, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.process.work
  File "cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py", line 1518, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.EngineThread.compute_error
ValueError: Detected NaN values in newengine.compute_error. 11294500 NaNs in total, 500 particles with NaNs.

[CPU:   9.07 GB  Avail:1011.49 GB]
  File "/home/cryosparc_user/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/jobs/runcommon.py", line 2294, in run_with_except_hook
    run_old(*args, **kw)
  File "/home/cryosparc_user/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.10/threading.py", line 953, in run
  File "cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py", line 2714, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.process.work
  File "cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py", line 2766, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.process.work
  File "cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py", line 1518, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.EngineThread.compute_error
ValueError: Detected NaN values in newengine.compute_error. 11294500 NaNs in total, 500 particles with NaNs.

And the below is the input parameter.

@LDE Please can you

1. download and set aside for future reference the job’s error report when the job is still in its failed state.
  2. clear the job and run it again with the same inputs and parameters.

Does the job fail again? At exactly the same point and with the same error message?

Yes. I clear the job and rerun it with same input and parameters, but fail like below

J39_fsc_iteration_000
J39_guinier_plot_iteration_000
J39_noise_model_iteration_000
J39_viewing_direction_distribution_iteration_000
J39_posterior_precision_directional_distribution_iteration_000

Thanks @LDE for trying this. Please can you post the output of the command

cryosparcm eventlog P99 J199 | tail -n 30

where you replace P99, J199 with the failed job’s project and job IDs, respectively.

This is the output of the command from my failed job’s project (P295) and job (J39)

[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:48:58 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 7935 MB] Done in 12.343s.
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:48:58 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 7935 MB] Outputting files…
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:02 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8353 MB] Done in 4.204s.
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:02 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8353 MB] Done iteration 0 in 147.640s. Total time so far 162.550s
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:02 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8353 MB] ----------------------------- Start Iteration 1
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:02 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8353 MB] Using Max Alignment Radius 141.000 (2.445A)
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:02 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8353 MB] Using Full Dataset (split 188933 in A, 188690 in B)
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:04 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8558 MB] Minimizing over per-particle scale factor
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:04 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8365 MB] Current alpha values ( nan | nan | nan | nan | nan )
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:04 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8365 MB] Engine Started.
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:04 GMT] Alignment map A
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:04 GMT] Alignment map B
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:09 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8541 MB] Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/cryosparc_user/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/jobs/runcommon.py”, line 2294, in run_with_except_hook
run_old(*args, **kw)
File “/home/cryosparc_user/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.10/threading.py”, line 953, in run
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py”, line 2714, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.process.work
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py”, line 2766, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.process.work
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py”, line 1518, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.EngineThread.compute_error
[Fri, 05 Jul 2024 01:49:09 GMT] [CPU RAM used: 8541 MB] Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/cryosparc_user/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/jobs/runcommon.py”, line 2294, in run_with_except_hook
run_old(*args, **kw)
File “/home/cryosparc_user/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.10/threading.py”, line 953, in run
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py”, line 2714, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.process.work
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py”, line 2766, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.process.work
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/newengine.py”, line 1518, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.engine.newengine.EngineThread.compute_error

@LDE Please can you try

1. using a Particle Sets Tool job, create a subset of 100000 particles from job J39’s input particles.
  2. clone job J39 and replace the input particles with the subset created in the previous step.
  3. run the cloned job and let us know whether the job completes normally or throws any errors.

I retry the J39’s cloned job using a subset of 100000 particles from the output of a Particle Sets Tool, but got the same error.

[CPU: 8.17 GB Avail:1009.03 GB]
run_old(*args, **kw)

Hi @LDE,

We are a bit stumped on this one. We thought of one thing worth trying, specifically because this problem only occurs with static masking as you mentioned.

It’s possible that the mask is invalid in some way, e.g. has NaNs, or values outside [0,1], etc.

Could you try using different mask for input, specifically one that has been generated via a different process? You originally used ChimeraX segger, so could you try for example using volume eraser to create a mask base, then import this mask base, and pass it to a volume tools job with appropriate thresholding and:

• dilation with nonzero width
  • padding with nonzero width

Best,
Michael

We are seeing this as well for some local refinement jobs, using a mask created directly using volume tools… and it happens with one set of particles extracted with a certain box size, but not with the same set of particles extracted with a different box size.

Also, the set of particles that gives this error in local refinement does not give the same error in NU-refine. In our case I think the issue is with refinement of scale factors (for some reason the scale factor refinement in local refinement fails, even when using a global mask, whereas it succeeds in NU-refine) - @LDE, what happens if you switch off “minimize over per-particle scale”? In my case, this fixes the issue.

I also have the same problem in some local refinement jobs, with masks created using volume tools (after segmentation in ChimeraX). The masks are unlikely to be the problem, since local refinement jobs with different particle subsets, but the same mask, sometimes work.

The problem occurs when:

• use pose/shift gaussian prior during alignment = TRUE
  • minimize over per-particle scale = TRUE

The job then runs after either setting minimize over per-particle scale = FALSE or reset input per-particle scale = TRUE

Also, a local refinement on the same particle set with another mask works without problems.

Actually, so far I’ve encountered this problem only with the smallest mask I’m using (encompassing roughly 90 kDa).

I’m experiencing the same error message, and even the numbers are identical in the line “11294500 NaNs in total, 500 particles with NaNs.”

I am also running local refinement with a static mask in CryoSPARC v4.5.3. I played around with different masks, as suggested by others, and sometimes it allowed the job to complete (but sometimes it didn’t). Unlike @LDE, for me the error occurs at seemingly random times throughout the run (could happen a few minutes in or over an hour in). Additionally, I just experienced a situation where I simply cleared the failed run and reran it, and it ran fine. This makes me think the difference in masks was a red herring and that there is a random process at play here. That said, I ran dozens of local refinements yesterday without issue, and the problem only appeared today when I combined a few particle stacks that I’d been working with separately yesterday. Though, again, the problem is irreproducible, so that might also be a red herring.

If anyone has found any tricks to get their runs to complete, please lmk!