Migrating cryoSPARC to a new server

I have a question about the instructions for migration provided here: namely, it looks like I’m supposed to execute these on the original instance of the installation? Doesn’t that make it difficult to revert the steps if something goes wrong? Seems like it would be better to be able to leave that in a working state while editing files copied to the new server.

Hi @pgoetz,

When migrating to a new instance usually what I do is to keep an unaltered copy of the database as precaution. Then proceed with the instructions to install a fresh new instance of cryosparc in your new server. Once the new cryosparc instance is working, stop it and then replace the cryosparc database location in cryosparc_master/config.sh with CRYOSPARC_DB_PATH (it should point to your old database, which should be accessible to the new server. Either shared storage or copy it into the new server). Then start cryosparc again.

If you are running a version that is not 3.2.0 and change the hostname and/or the port, you might run into issues, especially when changing the port. You will need to change the port in your replication set in MongoDB to match the port in config.sh. Version 3.2.0 has a function to achieve this: cryosparcm changeport

Cheers and hope this helps a bit.

3 Likes

Hi @pgoetz,

I’d like to second everything @vatese said, and add that it’s best to make sure the instance you’re trying to migrate is on the latest major and patch version of cryoSPARC.

1 Like