Install cryoSPARC 3.2.0 on Amazon Linux 2?

For various reasons, I’d prefer to run cryoSPARC on one of the Red Hat derivatives (preferably a RHEL derivative, even better a CentOS derivative, ideally Amazon Linux 2, which uses kernel 4.14). But the installation docs say:

Currently, Ubuntu Desktop 16+ is the best operating system to use with cryoSPARC, as extensive testing is carried out on this platform before every release.

So my question is: in terms of support, how much of a second-class platform are the Red Hat derivatives?

Do a substantial portion of users run fine on RHEL? Or would I be effectively a beta-tester here?

Thanks,
Eden

Not RHEL, but I’ve installed and run cryoSPARC just fine on openSUSE LEAP.

In our lab, most of our workstations run on CentOS 7 with CS working on them just fine. We’ve not had any issues with CentOS 7 but a word of caution. Cent OS has no more support after 2024. So, if you really wish to move to RHEL derivatives, I’d not prefer CentOS at least not as a long-term solution.

(https://www.openlogic.com/blog/long-term-outlook-centos-7-support#:~:text=CentOS%20Linux%207%20will%20reach,RHEL%207%20Extended%20Lifecycle%20Support.)

Thanks for the replies, @ccgauvin94 and @vamsee. @vamsee regarding LTS commitments for CentOS 7, I agree, I wouldn’t want to take a new dependency on a platform scheduled to end LTS in 2024. But the AL2 support schedule is a bit different.

In any case, I’ve been running cryoSPARC 3.2.0 on AL2 for the past few weeks, and I haven’t encountered any problems related to the distro, at least as far as I can tell.

1 Like