How can I bin movies during motion correction?

closed

The pixel size of my K3 compressed movies is 0.56 Å with TIFF format (size ~500 MB).
The 3D result was not good as I expected since I did motion correction separately outside of cryosparc.
So I am trying to bin the images two times while it is getting motion-corrected inside cryosparc.
I couldn’t see this option in the ‘Full-frame motion correction (multi)’. I also tried “Patch motion correction (multi)”, and it didn’t work.
We have two NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (8 GB GPU Memory each). The ‘nvidia-smi -l 1’ command indicates that ~7.5GB of each GPU memory are being used.
My understanding is that full-frame motion correction is kind of outdated and has memory issues with K3 movies.
Is there a way to bin the images (0.56 Å with TIFF format) while it is getting motion corrected inside cryosparc in my case?

Hi @Yifan,

Please try running Patch Motion Correction while using the Output F-crop factor parameter to bin your movies.
Also we’ve had trouble with K3 movies running on GPU’s with 8GBs of memory, we’ve noticed GPU Memory usage go up to 9-10GB.

Hi Sarulthasan,

Thanks. I tested with your suggestions and it still didn’t work. It gave the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “cryosparc2_compute/jobs/runcommon.py”, line 1481, in run_with_except_hook
run_old(*args, **kw)
File “/home/cryosparc_user/software/cryosparc/cryosparc2_worker/deps/anaconda/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 754, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “cryosparc2_compute/jobs/pipeline.py”, line 53, in stage_target
work = processor.process(item)
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/run_patch.py”, line 146, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.run_patch.run_patch_motion_correction_multi.motionworker.process
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/run_patch.py”, line 149, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.run_patch.run_patch_motion_correction_multi.motionworker.process
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/run_patch.py”, line 150, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.run_patch.run_patch_motion_correction_multi.motionworker.process
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/patchmotion.py”, line 77, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.patchmotion.unbend_motion_correction
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/patchmotion.py”, line 393, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.patchmotion.unbend_motion_correction
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/engine/newgfourier.py”, line 22, in cryosparc2_compute.engine.newgfourier.get_plan_R2C_2D
File “/home/cryosparc_user/software/cryosparc/cryosparc2_worker/deps/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skcuda/fft.py”, line 126, in init
onembed, ostride, odist, self.fft_type, self.batch)
File “/home/cryosparc_user/software/cryosparc/cryosparc2_worker/deps/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skcuda/cufft.py”, line 741, in cufftMakePlanMany
cufftCheckStatus(status)
File “/home/cryosparc_user/software/cryosparc/cryosparc2_worker/deps/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skcuda/cufft.py”, line 116, in cufftCheckStatus
raise e
cufftAllocFailed

I am waiting for our new workstation with four GPUs (11 GB each) and will try again.

Hello,
I have a similar problem. I have 2080Ti cards with as much memory as I should need, but apparently not enough.
Same superres movies, with f-crop set to 1/2

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “cryosparc2_compute/jobs/runcommon.py”, line 1481, in run_with_except_hook
run_old(*args, **kw)
File “/share/apps/cryosparc/cryosparc2_worker/deps/anaconda/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 754, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “cryosparc2_compute/jobs/pipeline.py”, line 53, in stage_target
work = processor.process(item)
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/run_patch.py”, line 146, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.run_patch.run_patch_motion_correction_multi.motionworker.process
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/run_patch.py”, line 149, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.run_patch.run_patch_motion_correction_multi.motionworker.process
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/run_patch.py”, line 150, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.run_patch.run_patch_motion_correction_multi.motionworker.process
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/patchmotion.py”, line 77, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.patchmotion.unbend_motion_correction
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/jobs/motioncorrection/patchmotion.py”, line 101, in cryosparc2_compute.jobs.motioncorrection.patchmotion.unbend_motion_correction
File “cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/engine/cuda_core.py”, line 312, in cryosparc2_compute.engine.cuda_core.EngineBaseThread.ensure_allocated
File “/share/apps/cryosparc/cryosparc2_worker/deps/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pycuda/gpuarray.py”, line 210, in init
self.gpudata = self.allocator(self.size * self.dtype.itemsize)
MemoryError: cuMemAlloc failed: out of memory