CyroSPARC container: /app/cryosparc_worker/bin/cryosparcw connect can't find libcuda

Hi All,

I am running CyroSPARC from the 4.3.1 container (I am using Apptainer, not docker), and I get an error while running cryosparcw connect:

Apptainer> /app/cryosparc_worker/bin/cryosparcw connect --worker localhost --master localhost --gpu none
 ---------------------------------------------------------------
  CRYOSPARC CONNECT --------------------------------------------
  Attempting to register worker localhost to command localhost:39002
  Connecting as unix user oshani
  Will register using ssh string: oshani@localhost
  If this is incorrect, you should re-run this command with the flag --sshstr <ssh string> 
  Connected to master.
  Current connected workers:
  Autodetecting available GPUs...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/connect.py", line 221, in <module>
    gpu_devidxs = check_gpus()
  File "bin/connect.py", line 91, in check_gpus
    num_devs = print_gpu_list()
  File "bin/connect.py", line 23, in print_gpu_list
    import pycuda.driver as cudrv
  File "/app/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pycuda/driver.py", line 62, in <module>
    from pycuda._driver import *  # noqa
ImportError: libcuda.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It looks like the problem is with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, because cryosparcw env shows: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda/lib64:…

while libcuda is in /usr/local/cuda-11.4/compat/libcuda.so.1

So I guess that I can work around this somehow, but is there an official fix for the problem?

Many thanks

Oren

Unfortunately, there is no “official” support for running CryoSPARC in a container.
In case it helps: In a non-container, ubuntu-based installation that I use, the file

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcuda.so.1

is provided independently from the the CUDA toolset in a package libnvidia-compute-550. I am not sure whether or not that package was installed as part of the nvidia driver installation.
What are the outputs of the commands

nvidia-smi
ls /dev/nvidia?

inside the container?

If you are confident that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the only issue, you may try adding this line to cryosparc_worker/config.sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda-11.4/compat

However, this may lead to other unforeseen issues.