Unable to verify license

Yesterday, our CryoSPARC server started showing this error:

While verifying the license, CryoSPARC encountered HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘get.cryosparc.com’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /checklicenseexists/[license key removed] (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(1, ‘[SSL: UNSAFE_LEGACY_RENEGOTIATION_DISABLED] unsafe legacy renegotiation disabled (_ssl.c:1131)’)))

I did some research and found other CryoSPARC customers that had encountered the same error so I tried commands suggested by CryoSPARC support and got these responses:

curl https://get.cryosparc.com
{“message”:“Missing Authentication Token”}

I’m able to curl other HTTP and HTTPS sites from the machine, so everything seems OK with the machine’s ability to access the internet and, specifically, the CryoSPARC licensing servers.

I’ve stopped and started the CryoSPARC services and rebooted the server but nothing has resolved the issue.

How can I resolve this issue? Thanks!

When I ran cryosparcm status, I got this response:

While verifying the license, CryoSPARC encountered HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘get.cryosparc.com’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /checklicenseexists/[license key removed] (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(1, ‘[SSL: UNSAFE_LEGACY_RENEGOTIATION_DISABLED] unsafe legacy renegotiation disabled (_ssl.c:1131)’)))
✓ CryoSPARC is running v4.2.1+230427

“/opt/cryosparc3/cryosparc_master/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_master_env/lib/python3.8/runpy.py”, line 194, in _run_module_as_main
return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
File “/opt/cryosparc3/cryosparc_master/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_master_env/lib/python3.8/runpy.py”, line 87, in _run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File “/opt/cryosparc3/cryosparc_master/cryosparc_command/instance_tests/installation_test.py”, line 88, in
run_cryosparc_installation_tests()
File “/opt/cryosparc3/cryosparc_master/cryosparc_command/instance_tests/installation_test.py”, line 48, in run_cryosparc_installation_tests
if core.update_required(current_version):
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_command/core.py”, line 202, in core.update_required
File “/opt/cryosparc3/cryosparc_master/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_master_env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/semver.py”, line 159, in wrapper
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/cryosparc3/cryosparc_master/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_master_env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/semver.py”, line 856, in compare
v1 = VersionInfo.parse(ver1)
File “/opt/cryosparc3/cryosparc_master/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_master_env/lib/python3.8/site-packages/semver.py”, line 726, in parse
raise ValueError(“%s is not valid SemVer string” % version)
ValueError: is not valid SemVer string

Additionally, running the curl command to check license status from the command line referenced in your troubleshooting guide indicates that the license is valid.

I did some additional digging in the logs and found that the problem first happened on 8/22/23 at 9:27am ET

Hello - any response here? We are currently unable to use our CryoSPARC server because of this issue. Please advise.

Please can you try:

1. cryosparcm stop
  2. cryosparcm start

Does this resolve the problem?

I just ran the command and got a similar issue - unable to connect.

[u062579@ATL022600 run]$ cryosparcm stop
CryoSPARC is running.
Stopping cryoSPARC
app: stopped
app_api: stopped
command_core: stopped
database: stopped
command_rtp: stopped
command_vis: stopped
Shut down
[u062579@ATL022600 run]$ cryosparcm call conda install -c conda-forge python=3.8.14 openssl=1
Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): failed

CondaHTTPError: HTTP 000 CONNECTION FAILED for url <https://conda.anaconda.org/conda-forge/linux-64/current_repodata.json>

Also similar to the license verification, I was able to run curl https://conda.anaconda.org/conda-forge/linux-64/current_repodata.json at the command line and download the current_repodata.json file.

Have there been any (security-related?) network-wide reconfigurations, such as of a http proxy, that coincided with the emergence of the

SSL: UNSAFE_LEGACY_RENEGOTIATION_DISABLED

message?

This issue was ultimately caused by Python not being able to access the correct certificates to make outbound HTTPS connections. We’ve resolved it and the server is back online. Please close this ticket.

1 Like