Slower performance for motion correction

After upgrading to v3, I have observed an approximately 10% increase in execution time. Did anyone else see this?
Is there an explanation or a solution?

Hi @jiskander,

There weren’t any changes in v3.0 that should make motion correction perform worse. I can possibly help figure out why you’re experiencing this; would you mind answering the following questions:

• Are you comparing the processing times of the exact same data before and after the v3.0 upgrade?
  • What version are you upgrading from?
  • Could you confirm that the job you’re using is patch motion correction?
  • Are you using any non-default job parameters (in particular, are you using low memory mode)?

Thanks

• Harris
  • Are you comparing the processing times of the exact same data before and after the v3.0 upgrade? Yes
  • What version are you upgrading from? 2.15
  • Could you confirm that the job you’re using is patch motion correction? yes it is
  • Are you using any non-default job parameters (in particular, are you using low memory mode)? no all default parameters except i have tried with 1,2,3 and 4 GPUs

I am benchmarking the performance on different HPC configurations so I have documented results with v2.15 and was redoing tests for v3.

Interesting… With those settings, patch motion correction will be using the same code path as 2.15. Some of our dependencies did change though, it’s possible there was a performance regression with one of them, as other users have reported slowdowns in other aspects of cryoSPARC. We will keep looking into this and get a solution out when we discover the cause.

Harris

1 Like