Resolution become worse suddenly in local refinement

Greeting there,

I am doing local refinement now with particle subtraction, static mask, mask center as fulcrum location, reset and minimize per-particle scale, the resolution become better and better until for example Iteration 5, but become worse suddenly from Iteration 6 (even worse than the Iteration 0).
Can anyone point me out the possible reason?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Yanhe,

In order to diagnose the problem, it would be helpful to see the FSC curves from the iteration before and after the issue occurred.

Cheers
Oli

Dear Oli,

P18_J929_fsc_iteration_004
Here is the FSC right before it suddenly become worse, I don’t have the FSC of worse Iteration.
In the overview, it said “Using Filter Radius 130.742 (11.554A) | Previous: 156.476 (9.654A)”,
so I just kill the job.
BTW, I am doing local refinement on subregion of my complex.

Thanks a lot,

Hi Yanhe,

Without seeing the FSC afterwards, it is difficult to say very much about what might be wrong.

However, the spherical and no-mask resolutions of 40-60Å are very suspicious - are you sure you are masking the right region? What was the resolution of the preceding refinement, and what initial lowpass resolution are you using in local refinement?

Cheers
Oli

Dear Oli,

I will repeat it and have it post when I done.

I thought the 40-60Å is because particle subtraction, right? I subtract signal from all the left area except for my interested subregion.
The resolution of the preceding refinement is around 11Å, the lowpass resolution I used in local refinement is 12Å.

Thanks a lot,

Hi Yanhe,

Local refinement in cryoSPARC is unlikely to work well at such low resolution, unless you are talking about an especially large complex with a correspondingly large subregion.

Have you tried local refinement without signal subtraction? I would always advise trying this before trying with signal subtraction.

Dear Oli,

You are totally correct, I am working on large complex with a correspondingly subregion.

When I do local refinement on another subregion, the signal subtraction give better result (7.6Å) when compare with no subtraction (9.6Å).
But I will try refinement with no subtraction and repeat the job running mentioned above. Then post here to have your advice.

Thank you so much,