Question re: MRC file type

Hello, I am trying to change mrc to mrcs file. Is there anyway to compress mrc files and make them into a single mrcs file?

It’s just an extension, not a different file type.

relion_stack_create and stack.py are two programs that can make a new particle stack from existing .star or .mrc(s) files.

Is there anyway to combine multiple mrc file into a single file? I am trying to use the .mrc files as a single input in a program called “cryoDRGN”.

Hi Andy,

CryoDRGN has a pretty nice tutorial where it tells you how to do that with data coming from RELION (.star), CryoSPARC (.cs), and even from deposited data (.mrc).

Did the tutorial not work for you?

All the best,
Armando

Hi Armando,
I am currently working through the tutorial, it just that I have multiple mrc files and the tutorial only shows to change the extension from .mrc to .mrcs. I just wanted to put multiple mrc files as an single mrcs file.

sincerely

Andy

Hi Andy,

You could try making a text file that references all the other .mrcs files, kind of how cryoDRGN itself makes it able to reference the multiple downsampled particles that were stored in different chunks.

Best,
Armando

You can also do it in pyem: stack.py *.mrc out.mrcs

Hi,
I will try them. Thank you for the help.

sincerely

Andy

Hi, Daniel
I am trying convert .mrcs files in cryodrgn environment in anaconda using stack.py in pyem environment. Is there a way that I can use python file from pyem in cryodrgn?

sincerely

Andy

If you don’t want to switch conda environments, just install all the pyem dependencies in the cryodrgn environment. As long as it is Python 3.

Thank you, I will try it.