Preference to default to fp16

Hi,

Love the option to output fp16 mics and particles! :blush: So far so good - I don’t see any detectable difference in the results, with significant space savings (both on main storage and SSD).

Would it be possible to add a preference to switch the default to fp16 on?

In general, it would still be great to be able to set some preferences globally, so they apply to any new project - this would help a lot for things like this that individuals might not notice but which can make a real difference at system-level…

Cheers
Oli

2 Likes

Hi Oli. There is a project-level default switch for fp16. Does that reduce the need for a global default, or do you still feel like a global default would be significantly better?

1 Like

Hi Harris,

I didn’t realize it was there, good to know! Definitely helps :slight_smile:

I still think that having either some way to set global preferences, or a global way to set project-level defaults for all projects at once, would be good to have.

On each of our three GPUs we have about a dozen projects - going through and manually setting the same defaults for each is rather tedious, so having a way to do so globally would be helpful.

Cheers
Oli

It would be handy to be able to force users to use it by default, rather than have to hound them about it. We have 33 users and growing.

2 Likes

Hi Harris,

Just chiming in to say that we would find an instance-wide global default preference extremely useful in our setting as well.

Cheers,
Yang

1 Like

Hi Harris,

Perhaps I mucked up the order of toggle-enablement, but it seems (n=1) that enabling the project-level default for float-16 isn’t inherited by cryoSPARC Live sessions created therein. Assuming I did things in the appropriate order, is this behaviour intended?

Cheers,
Yang

Hi @leetleyang, the current scope of project-level parameters only affects jobs. However, we’ll make a note of your suggestion that session parameters should also be included and will consider it for a future release.

2 Likes

Hi Harris,

Thank you for the clarification. That’s helpful.

Cheers,
Yang

For slurm clusters, I use prolog’s to override all user inputs before a job is run. Enforce 16-bit floats, which lanes to use and how many workers to use for cs live, scratch always on, disable continuous importing.

1 Like