Particle subtraction

Hi,
I am new to cryo-EM data processing. I am using cryosparc v2.4.6. I have a complex of a small protein bound to a larger nucleoprotein complex. I have ~3.0 A resolution for the larger nucleoprotein, but I am interested in improving the resolution of the smaller protein (which is currently at ~7A). I would like to do a local refinement of the smaller protein to see if the resolution for this protein can be improved. To do this, I subtracted the signal for the larger nucleoprotein from the complex. From the particle stack it is obvious that the particle subtraction worked. However, when I use the new subtracted stack of particles, in a 2d or 3d classification job, the results still contain the larger nucleoprotein in them. Doesn’t this indicate that the particle subtraction was unsuccessful? I feel like I am missing something here. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Uma

Hi @umuthura,

Thanks for posting.
In the post-subtraction 2D or 3D classification jobs, do you see that the density of the nucleoprotein is reduced, or is it just as strong as before? Can you also try running a homogeneous 3D refinement with the subtracted particles and check how the density of the nucleoprotein changes?
The reason I ask is that during subtraction, the reference is subtracted from all particles but each particle can have a substantially different contrast level/ice thickness so there is sometimes a “shadow” left over due to the contrast variations. But this would appear as a much lower density than the non-subtracted protein domain.

Also, have you already tried local refinement of the smaller protein without subtraction, just as a baseline/sanity check?

And one more note - the current version of cryoSPARC is 2.14, it’s definitely worth updating! You may also want to check out 3D Variability Analysis (http://3dva.cryosparc.com) for directly resolving flexible heterogeneity

Hi Dr. Punjani,
Thank you very much for your response. The density of the nucleoprotein is similar to the un-subtracted particle stack unfortunately.
And I have not yet run the homogeneous refinement on the subtracted stack or the local refinement without subtraction. Thanks for your suggestions, I will follow up on these and let you know if those worked.
Thanks again.
Uma

Ok, thank you, I’ve requested out IT staff to look into updating the Cryosparc version.
Uma