Orientation distribution plot suggestion [Feature request]

Hi,

I have two suggestions for the orientation distribution plots which I think might improve ease of interpretation.

1. For the posterior precision directional distribution, unless one looks carefully at the scale, it is difficult to get an idea of whether it is a “bad” plot or a “good” one (e.g. see the two attached plots). This is because it is autoscaled such that the lowest value is blue and the highest value is red. Would it be possible to alter this plot (perhaps by plotting in terms of some kind of ratio between the min and max?) such that it can be put on an absolute scale? This would be helpful when comparing different experiments. It would be nice if plots representing structures with a large degree of anisotropy were instantly distinguishable, visually, from those calculated from a structure with a more or less isotropic distribution of views.

2. For the orientation distribution plot, this may be getting a little fancy, but for seeing which views are less represented, I think it would be really helpful to be able to hover over a point on the plot and get a thumbnail of the structure projected in that orientation, so one knows what to look for during 2D classification. With symmetric structures it is pretty easy to intuitively guess this, but less so for asymmetric structures.

Cheers
Oli

1 Like

Was searching for discussion under the topic of “anisotropy” and came across this post from December 2018:

I really like your suggestion #2 - did this ever get incorporated?

Scott
CMRI, Sydney Australia

No, but you can basically achieve the same thing with a Relion-style distribution made with star2bild.py if you just want to see what the views are now.

1 Like

Wouldn’t hurt with cryoEF analysis either, especially in CS live, so that one can implement the suggested stage tilt while still collecting. cryoEF

Yes this is very handy!

The other way you can do it is to run a quick round of 2D after refinement, select a single 2D class corresponding to the view of interest, then run homogeneous reconstruction - you will get a plot with just the particles corresponding to that view, so you can match up the view to the plot.

Cheers
Oli