Open .mrc file from CryoSparc directly in Coot

Hi all,

I’ve got a few NURefine volumes from CryoSparc that I’d like to open in Coot. Ideally directly, without altering in any way, or having to assign a PDB model to this – as I’d like to quickly be able to compare many iterations of the map. However, File–>Open Map in Coot seems unresponsive - the map ‘opens’, and map histogram is not all zero, but I cannot see the map at all no matter how much zooming/altering of map parameters I do. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you!
Leah

The “interesting” part of the map is likely outside the map display radius given the current cursor position. You can change it in the map options, the default should be 55Å for cryo-EM maps, try a larger number at least to find the middle of the map. You could also reduce the contour threshold a lot and then just translate around and see if you see it.

IMO for this use case ChimeraX will be far more convenient. You can also look at maps in cryoSPARC on the Volumes tab of a job.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks so much for your response. You were right - the map was just way out of my range. Eventually, utilizing the ‘Go to map molecule middle’ tool in the CryoEM tab was the best solution - even zooming/increasing radius gave no assistance.

Much appreciated!
Leah

Great, glad you figured it out!

1 Like

As you have already found out, Coot has recentering commands.
Here is a step by step for future reference:

First activate the cryoEM module, if it isn’t already:
Calculate → Modules → CryoEM

then
CryoEM → Go To Map Molecule Middle
or:
CryoEm → Go to Box Middle

will take the cursor in the middle of your electron density, or box (usually the same place)

2 Likes

Thank you Andrea! This is very helpful.