Import movies finishes with "Job process terminated abnormally"

Hi everyone, my “import movies” job has finished with “Job process terminated abnormally” when loading ~3k tif files into the cryosparc.

I had to manually check for the corrupted files using tiffdump utility (this one), and remove the ones that were damages. After that, “Import movies” went normally.

However, I’d expect the corrupted tif files to end up in the “Failed movies” output group, but not result in the job failing and me checking all the files manually.

For reproducibility, the dataset I was working on was EMPIAR-10926, and the corrupted file was eme1-3_159-16_0005_Aug11_08.58.03.tif.

Please can you post:

• the CryoSPARC version
  • the final ~50 lines from the events log
  • the job log (job.log inside the job directory)

I removed initial all-movies job, but if I run it on failed micrograph only, I get this:

job.log

================= CRYOSPARCW =======  2022-12-23 22:50:17.284392  =========
Project P58 Job J15
Master cmm-1 Port 39002
===========================================================================
========= monitor process now starting main process
MAINPROCESS PID 27939
========= monitor process now waiting for main process
MAIN PID 27939
imports.run cryosparc_compute.jobs.jobregister
========= sending heartbeat
========= main process now complete.
========= monitor process now complete.

the events log:

cryosparc version 4.0.2

Which OS, kernel version is running on that worker?

It’s ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Welcome message says:
Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-200-generic x86_64)

Not sure if uname is telling exactly this, but this is likely due to the cluster specifics:

marin@cmm-1:~$ uname -a
Linux cmm-1 4.15.0-200-generic #211-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 24 18:16:04 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I realize that the following does not answer your question, but I was able to import

(assuming I did not misread the filename)

on a v4.1.1 instance (with an unreleased, unrelated patch).
In case this observation motivates an update of your instance, I recommend preparing the update by ensuring prerequisites for the potential installation of 3DFlex dependencies even if you do not plan to install those dependencies immediately.

I see, thanks. Perhaps this was an issue with wget not ensuring download correctly, and not with the file itself.

Although, it doesn’t change the second part of the message: if one of the tif files is damaged, I’d expect it to fail into the “Failed movies”, and not to fail the whole process itself. Not sure if that was the designed behavior though.

Thank you for the update. The crash you observed is expected. This behavior may change in a future software release.