How to remove some bad quality images

I have 4000 frames now, but some have very thick ice and huge cracks, so I want to go through each frame one by one in cryosparc and make a selection. How can I achieve this functionality? In relion I usually do it in the manual picker program.

For micrographs, the equivalent would probably be the Manually Curate Exposures jobtype.

@zhe, to chime in, you can definitely use Manually Curate Exposures as suggested by @leetleyang, and you could also load your dataset into cryoSPARC Live and use the Overview Tab to view individual exposures and reject them manually and/or using threshold criteria: https://guide.cryosparc.com/live/new-live-session-start-to-finish-guide#4.-exclude-poor-quality-exposures-from-downstream-processing
(Scroll to 4. Exclude Poor Quality Exposures from Downstream Processing)

Once satisfied with your selection, you can Export Exposures (https://guide.cryosparc.com/live/new-live-session-start-to-finish-guide#export-exposures-and-or-particles) and this will make the accepted and rejected exposure outputs available in the corresponding Project in your regular cryoSPARC interface for use in downstream processing.

3 Likes

The problem Iā€™ve had with looking through a large number of micrograph in CryoSparc is that it may take >1 s for it to load a specific micrograph, which is much longer than you need to look at the image to assess quality. Thus, my solution, albeit much less elegant, has been to do a Generate Thumbnails job to a low resolution (letā€™s say @1 of 170) and then open the output folder, delete all the @1 thumbs and load the resulting @2 thumbs in an image viewer in batches of 50. In this way, for me at least, this means I can get through them a lot faster by just closing the viewer windows while scanning over the images briefly and saving the bad ones in a subfolder. Then, as Manually Curate Exposures can sort the micrographs alphabetically, itā€™s just a matter of finding the names in the subfolder and rejecting them.

How do you generate the thumbnails from mrc files? What I did is converge the mrc image to jpg with low resolution. Do you have any convenient ways?
Thank you so much.

thank you verymuchļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼I have made it

Thank you very much, very good solution! I spent over 10 hours yesterday looking at my pictures and it was really eye consuming. But how exactly does your solution work? Use that program? Iā€™m just starting to learn cryosparc, so there are many, many things I donā€™t understand, thank you very much for your help

CryoSparc has a job under ā€œUtilitiesā€ that is called ā€œGenerate Micrograph Thumbnailsā€, which only parameter is the requested resolution. The thumbnails are then output in a subfolder of the job folder as .pngā€™s. For actually viewing the images, I work on a Windows PC connected by FTP to our CryoSparc server from which I used to download small batches into a cache of the FTP program and open them directly in individual viewer windows. A better solution, however, is probably to download all the .pngā€™s and open the first one with the default Windows image viewer because that letā€™s you scroll through the folder with just the arrow keys.

Good to know. Thank you.