FSC not reaching zero after symmetry expansion

Hello!

I am currently processing a dimeric complex and am encountering a problem after symmetry expansion and re-extraction of the particles.

I first refined my complex in C1, using homogenous refinement, followed by an homogenous refinement in C2.
Each monomer have strong conformational heterogeneity, so I proceeded with C2 Symmetry Expansion, and another round of homogenous refinement in C1 with a mask covering only one monomer.
I then shifted my particles using the Volume Align Tools to recenter the particles on only one monomer, and performed another round of homogenous refinement in C1.
Then I reextracted the particles (duplicated), refined them again, and now i am getting weird FSC curves that won’t cross the 0 line …
Like this:
Captureqqqssqq
Captureqqqqq

I guess this comes from the duplicated particles and probably also half-set assignment …

Did i do something wrong?
How would you proceed with that?

Best,
Flo

This is expected. When you perform symmetry expansion, you are effectively duplicating your particles but changing the orientation of the copies.

This won’t cause a problem in local refinement (as the orientations of the copies are different, you won’t get spurious correlations), but it will cause a problem in homogeneous or NU refine, where complete orientational search is performed.

I would suggest performing local refinement immediately after symmetry expansion (and you can then perform subparticle extraction if you wish).

5 Likes

As Oli says, if you symmetry expand, you have to stick with local refinement. Global refinements will do exactly what you’re seeing.

3 Likes

Thank you both ! Indeed only using Local Refinement fixed the problem.
Captureatp3

Best,

3 Likes

Hi all,

Just chiming in; as of CryoSPARC v4.5 released May 7, 2024, refinements with global pose search will raise a warning if symmetry expanded particles are detected in the input particles.

Best,
Michael

3 Likes