Filament tracing job not picking particles with filament diameters over 500Å

Dear all, I’m trying to set up a filament tracing job with tubes that have diameters over 500Å. However, the job is not picking any particles at all even after having a 2D class template. When I indicate the filament diameter of 500Å for our tubes, it doesn’t automatically pick the particles, although when given a smaller filament diameter ~130Å it runs smoothly, but just choosing portions within the tubes, instead of the whole tubes. Does this type of job account for such big tubes?

Hi @atornes,

Thanks for reporting, we haven’t done much testing with processing very large filaments! This is interesting behaviour – would you be able to post some of the diagnostic plots that are written to the streamlog, along with the accompanying micrographs? You can certainly direct message these to me if you would rather not post them publicly. As well, it would be helpful for us to know which parameters the job was run (or if it was with all defaults).

Best,
Michael

Hello Michael,

I tried reaching out privately, but it seems that as I am a new user in cryoSPARC discuss, I cannot send a direct message to you. Thanks again for offering to help with this issue. This is the error I am getting:

Hi @atornes,

Thanks for letting me know – I have just increased your trust level to basic user, so please let me know if you are able to reply to my direct message.

Best,
Michael

1 Like

Hi Both,
Interesting post! I see the exact same behavior. My tube is around 300A wide, but the filament tracer seems confused when I give that as an input value (it likes to pick the 2 edges of the filament rather than in the center). However when I give it the tube width a much smaller value, combined with a bigger number for std dev of gaussian blur (i.e. 0.4 instead of 0.1) it works near perfect.
Best,
Jitske