Failed to do patch CTF estimation

I just updated to v4.2.1 and found that the Patch CTF Estimation always got failed. The error message in the job.log mentioned something wrong with libcufft.so.10. I paste some of the message here:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/process.py”, line 315, in _bootstrap
self.run()
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/process.py”, line 108, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/jobs/pipeline.py”, line 200, in process_work_simple
process_setup(proc_idx) # do any setup you want on a per-process basis
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/jobs/ctf_estimation/run.py”, line 79, in cryosparc_compute.jobs.ctf_estimation.run.run.process_setup
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/engine/init.py”, line 8, in
from .engine import * # noqa
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/engine.py”, line 9, in init cryosparc_compute.engine.engine
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/cuda_core.py”, line 12, in init cryosparc_compute.engine.cuda_core
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/skcuda_internal/fft.py”, line 9, in
from . import gpufft
ImportError: libcufft.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Process Process-1:2:
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/process.py”, line 315, in _bootstrap
self.run()
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/process.py”, line 108, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/jobs/pipeline.py”, line 200, in process_work_simple
process_setup(proc_idx) # do any setup you want on a per-process basis
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/jobs/ctf_estimation/run.py”, line 79, in cryosparc_compute.jobs.ctf_estimation.run.run.process_setup
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/engine/init.py”, line 8, in
from .engine import * # noqa
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/engine.py”, line 9, in init cryosparc_compute.engine.engine
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/engine/cuda_core.py”, line 12, in init cryosparc_compute.engine.cuda_core
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/skcuda_internal/fft.py”, line 9, in
from . import gpufft
ImportError: libcufft.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/queues.py”, line 245, in _feed
send_bytes(obj)
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/connection.py”, line 200, in send_bytes
self._send_bytes(m[offset:offset + size])
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/connection.py”, line 411, in _send_bytes
self._send(header + buf)
File “/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/deps/anaconda/envs/cryosparc_worker_env/lib/python3.8/multiprocessing/connection.py”, line 368, in _send
n = write(self._handle, buf)
BrokenPipeError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

I feel like it may be some version mismatch, but cannot figure it out. Please help!

Did you make sure that CUDA wasn’t in the PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH when updating?

What version of CUDA does nvcc --version report? Have you updated CUDA (CUDA 12 to my knowledge still does not work with CryoSPARC)?

Thank you for the quick replying. Our work station was down yesterday due to some package installation so I couldn’t check the info you mentioned. The CUDA version is 10. But I’m not quite sure about “make sure that CUDA wasn’t in the PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH when updating”, but here is what’s in .bashrc file. Do you think it’s the problem?

#CUDA10.0
export PATH=“/usr/local/cuda-10.0/bin”:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda-10.0/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Added by cryoSPARC:

export PATH=“/data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_master/bin”:$PATH

It might well be. These entries are not required by CryoSPARC, and may interfere with CryoSPARC installation and operation.
I recommend, assuming

• these .bashrc lines are not required by other programs
  • the nvidia driver version is at least 460.32.03 on your worker(s)

that you

• comment out these lines
  • exit the shell
  • in a fresh shell, ensure
    which nvcc
    does not print any result
  • install 3DFlex prerequisites, which will (also) install and configure a CUDA toolkit for use with CryoSPARC (details)
cd /data1/share/cryosparc/cryosparc_worker/
./bin/cryosparcw install-3dflex
1 Like