Ab initio inplementation failure

Hey everyone!

I performed Ab initio for good 2D classification, but Ab initio reconstruction failed with the following message.

[CPU: 2.77 GB Avail: 214.60 GB]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/run.py”, line 95, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.run.main
File “cryosparc_master/cryosparc_compute/jobs/abinit/run.py”, line 285, in cryosparc_master.cryosparc_compute.jobs.abinit.run.run_homo_abinit
File “/spshared/apps/cryosparc4/cryosparc_worker/cryosparc_compute/noise_model.py”, line 119, in get_noise_estimate
assert n.all(n.isfinite(ret))
AssertionError

For this dataset, I can get two good reconstructions (≈ 50% particles) when I set 4 classes in Ab reconstruction. But when I set number of Ab initio classes with 6 or 8, it will failed with same message.

I wonder if this is caused by too many bad particles in select 2D job?

Does anyone konw how to fix this problem. Any help will be appreciated!

Hi @hai,

We have not been able to reproduce this internally using between 3 and 10 classes. Its perhaps due to a single class not having any particles assigned to it.

Best,
Kye

Thank you!

sorry for late reply. I have discovered that particles have a serious orientation problem, and this maybe the reason why ab-initio fails.

I am trying to overcome this issue, so I set one class in ab-intio and it worked. After that I run Nu-refine directly and eventully ran the orientation diagnostics job.

So I have another question what job should I run at the end of the orientation diagnostics (I don’t know how to relate 3DFSC volume to particle picking (to find missing views))?

@hai – that looks like a very severe orientation bias, maybe with only one major viewing direction (orthogonal to the yellow ring in the spherical plot). In general, it’s non-trivial to relate cFSC values to viewing directions. Each cFSC value is computed via a cone in Fourier space, while each particle represents a slice – see the Orientation Diagnostics guide for a diagram.

To address this, in CryoSPARC v4.5, we’ve updated Orientation Diagnostics to include a ‘relative signal’ heuristic which will directly relate poor directional FSCs to viewing directions with poor signal (either due to undersampling or due to bad/junk particles).

Internally, we’ve found that once you find the missing views, using a template picker job combined with a micrograph denoiser, and/or orientation rebalancing can be effective at improving orientation bias. This does, however, assume that you can get a reasonable structure via ab-initio and refinement with the biased particle set. Otherwise, just using a denoiser may help find more of the rarer views to get things going.

1 Like