2D Classification: meaning of NUM and TOTAL in event log output

I was really curious about something and I can’t find anything that explains this information. In the 2D classification job there is a line that states the progress of that iteration in the event log that states “[CPU: 5.09 GB Avail: 245.81 GB] – DEV 2 THR 0 NUM 19000 TOTAL 1791.8366 ELAPSED 13662.004 --”. I understand that the DEV is the GPU or maybe number of GPUs and THR means threads and the elapsed seems pretty self explanatory, but what does the NUM and TOTAL mean? I

Hi @Srichnew,

NUM refers to the number of images processed so far by the indicated device i.e. GPU (DEV) and thread (THR). ELAPSED is the total elapsed time in seconds of that iteration, and TOTAL refers to the CPU time spent during processing by the indicated device and thread. Note that there are usually 2 threads running (2D class and most of the 3D processing jobs use 2 threads).

Best,
Michael

1 Like

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response! Very insightful and definitely helped me understand better what was happening. In the future, would it be possible to implement a feature that showed overall progress of processing (perhaps via percentage completed)? For those of us that are excited about that sort of thing, I think it would be a really cool addition.

Thank you,
Shane

Hi @Srichnew,

Thanks for the feature request! A progress bar or similar is a great suggestion for the particle-processing jobs – we’ve triaged this!

Best,
Michael