Change ROOT_URL for Meteor Webapp

Hi @kmdalton ,

Thanks for the ping. I took another look at our code and there shouldn’t be a reason why hosting at a subpath with ROOT_URL changed within cryosparc2_package/cryosparc_master/supervisord.conf should not work. Could you try again and make sure to first stop the cryoSPARC instance? cryosparcm stop

If possible could you let me know if the network requests of the web application are pointing to the right URL (with the subpath)?

@sdawood ,

Firstly, thanks for having a look. My colleagues and I strongly appreciate any help you can give us. I am not a web developer, but I will try my best to be helpful.

For starters, I edited the supervisord.conf as follows:

$ diff supervisord.conf original_supervisord.conf
43c43
< environment=MONGO_URL="mongodb://%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MASTER_HOSTNAME)s:%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MONGO_PORT)s/meteor",MONGO_OPLOG_URL="mongodb://%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MASTER_HOSTNAME)s:%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MONGO_PORT)s/local",PORT="%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_HTTP_PORT)s",HTTP_FORWARDED_COUNT="1",ROOT_URL="http://%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MASTER_HOSTNAME)s:%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_HTTP_PORT)s/node/%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MASTER_HOSTNAME)s/%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_HTTP_PORT)s",NODE_OPTIONS="--max-old-space-size=8192"
---
> environment=MONGO_URL="mongodb://%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MASTER_HOSTNAME)s:%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MONGO_PORT)s/meteor",MONGO_OPLOG_URL="mongodb://%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MASTER_HOSTNAME)s:%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MONGO_PORT)s/local",PORT="%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_HTTP_PORT)s",HTTP_FORWARDED_COUNT="1",ROOT_URL="http://%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_MASTER_HOSTNAME)s:%(ENV_CRYOSPARC_HTTP_PORT)s",NODE_OPTIONS="--max-old-space-size=8192"

This leads to the correctly formatted ROOT_URL for Open OnDemand https://holy7c24101.rc.fas.harvard.edu:9627/node/holy7c24101.rc.fas.harvard.edu/9627. All good so far.

When I try to acess the webapp, I use the Open OnDemand URL https://vdi.rc.fas.harvard.edu/node/holy7c24103.rc.fas.harvard.edu/7565/login which should pass through to the compute node where CryoSPARC is running. The DNS does resolve, and I make it through to the compute node. This is great by the way – it took longer than I care to admit to reach this point. Unfortunately, the webapp fails to load. A progress bar appears for just a moment, but then I quickly get the following page:

It also redirects me to https://vdi.rc.fas.harvard.edu/404, but it is still clearly using CryoSPARC’s css (or whatever other way you have of specifying the style).

In the console, I see a whole bunch of scary errors:

These appear to mostly be to do with fonts and also a favicon which the web server doesn’t know where to find. I do believe that the webapp is using the right ROOT_URL, because my browser is able to find the minified javascript file. However, it gets stuck when trying to find some subset of resources mentioned in the file. I think this is because these are specified with absolute paths in the webapp source. Changing the ROOT_URL environment variable doesn’t have any effect on them. If I were more savvy, perhaps I could hunt down the absolute paths and switch them to relative ones, but I am afraid I don’t know how the 50592286c5f5542d035fd46578678e310bdddf72.js gets generated exactly. I don’t think I can work on the minified file directly. It’s too confusing.

I could be off base about the root cause of these errors. It does feel awfully close to working though.

I’m not 100% sure if I have answered your question. I’m afraid my js and overall knowledge of web technologies is pretty minimal, but I am happy to try running diagnostics for you. You’ll just have to make pretty specific suggestions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Any more thoughts on this @sdawood? It seems to me like some absolute paths are just hardcoded inside the webapp source. I’d think it would be an easy fix for someone familiar with the code. Am I off base?

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi @kmdalton,

Thanks very much for the additional details. It looks like the application does load, it’s just that the client-side router operates under the assumption of a root base path. When our team has some time we can test out a modified build that supports ROOT_URL. I’ll keep you updated!

- Suhail

Hey @sdawood ,

Just wanted to ping you to remind you about this ROOT_URL issue. Any progress to report? Anything I can do to help?

Thanks!
Kevin

Hi @sdawood,

Any idea when this ROOT_URL issue will get a fix? There are several labs interested in running CryoSPARC on our cluster. It’ll be much easier to help them if I can give them an OnDemand App. I’d prefer to wait if that’s something that will happen relatively soon.

It does seem like the intention was to support changing ROOT_URL based on CryoSPARC’s supervisord.conf. From that perspective, I’d say this is a bug worth fixing!

Thanks,
Kevin

@team

Friendly reminder about this ROOT_URL issue. I’d really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to write an update!

Thanks again,
Kevin

Hi @sdawood,

Just checking in. Will this issue be patched soon? I saw a recent release, but I don’t think a fix was in it.

Thanks,
Kevin

@sdawood : I upvote this request to enable meteor app with a custom ROOT_URL.
It has been a pain to manage cryosparc with multiple users on different machines.
Open on demand would help our users make more use of Cryosparc in a clean way.

Can we please take this request as a priority and see if it can be fixed?

Hi all,

Our team looked into a workaround and have determined it’s not technically feasible for us to work on, at least for this version of the cryoSPARC application.

- Suhail

@sdawood

I really appreciate your looking into this. I strongly encourage the team to prioritize this feature in future versions of the webapp. I cannot overstate how much it would benefit academic cluster admins.

Thanks,
Kevin

1 Like

@kmdalton do you have a github repo you can share? You may be able to use /rnode (as a post to /node) for relative URLS. This allows for origins that can’t change their ROOT_URL like cryosparc and RStudio to name another off the top of my head.

@sdawood I’m a maintainer of Open OnDemand in case you need to toss any questions my way (I noticed you had a few so thought I’d hop on).

@johrstrom : I had tried with /rnode and it still was not working as expected.

@johrstrom, thanks for chiming in! I have also tried rnode to no avail. I can follow up with more details later today.

@johrstrom, here’s the OOD Webapp I’ve been testing. It is based on the Jupyter example. Sorry it is a bit haphazard. I more or less abandoned it after realizing that it wasn’t going to be possible to change ROOT_URL.

When I try specifying rnode in the view.html.erb, I am still not able to connect to the webapp. I just get a blank page, and the console complains that some files are missing.

I can confirm that the CryoSPARC webapp is running, and I can connect from a virtual desktop running on a different node:

Perhaps rnode is not configured correctly? I really appreciate any insight you can offer!

Sorry, @johrstrom ! I just realized my repository link was broken. This one works.

@johrstrom how do you feel about creating a new reverse proxy uri method that additionally uses the substitution (supported by apache and/or nxginx) to modify the response from the cryosparc server to reinsert the /<uri>/<host>/<port> at the front of all the absolute paths? The problem we face here (paths in the response do not match) is a common problem among all web servers that use reverse proxy, not specific to cryosparc, so it could be useful to solve the problem generally.

@johrstrom I also would be interested in what @rarensu describes (although I understand it probably isn’t your responsibility in this case).

Would it make sense to start a post on the OSC discourse site, or put in a GitHub feature request? Or maybe there is one already?

@ndusek github is best because it’s hard to forget (we forget about a lot of inactive discourse topics)

That said - i made this ticket for Open OnDemand.

1 Like

Thanks @johrstrom , much appreciated!