ValueError: Total size of new array must be unchanged - 2D Classification

Hi,

I am trying to run 2D classification and encountering the following error. Has anyone had a similar problem.

Thanks,
Elena

Using random seed of 558330554

Loading a ParticleStack with 1553134 items...

SSD cache : cache successfuly synced in_use

SSD cache : cache successfuly synced, found 539185.52MB of files on SSD.

SSD cache : cache successfuly requested to check 2533 files.

SSD cache : cache requires 319.04MB more on the SSD for files to be downloaded.

SSD cache : cache has enough available space.

Transferring J37/imported/17sep06c_G9-3_00039gr_00002sq_v02_00005hl4_00004ed-a-DW_particle.mrcs (155MB)
Complete :          164MB
Total    :       412619MB
Speed   :   500.85MB/s

SSD cache : complete, all requested files are available on SSD.

Done.

Windowing particles

Done.

Using 100 classes.

Computing 2D class averages: 

Volume Size: 128 (voxel size 2.37A)

Zeropadded Volume Size: 256

Data Size: 264 (pixel size 1.15A)

Using Resolution: 6.00A (50.0 radius)

Windowing only corners of 2D classes at each iteration.

Using random seed for initialization of 1121242163

Done in 0.819s.

Start of Iteration 0

-- DEV 0 THR 0 NUM 500 TOTAL 8.5584180 ELAPSED 9.4281439 --

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "cryosparc2_compute/jobs/runcommon.py", line 738, in run_with_except_hook
    run_old(*args, **kw)
  File "cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/engine/cuda_core.py", line 92, in cryosparc2_compute.engine.cuda_core.GPUThread.run
  File "cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/engine/cuda_core.py", line 93, in cryosparc2_compute.engine.cuda_core.GPUThread.run
  File "cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/engine/engine.py", line 980, in cryosparc2_compute.engine.engine.process.work
  File "cryosparc2_worker/cryosparc2_compute/engine/engine.py", line 88, in cryosparc2_compute.engine.engine.EngineThread.load_image_data_gpu
  File "cryosparc2_compute/particles.py", line 109, in get_original_real_data
    return self.blob.view().copy() # TODO!!!! All the particle code assumes x is slow axis! WRONG!
  File "cryosparc2_compute/blobio/mrc.py", line 101, in view
    return self.get()
  File "cryosparc2_compute/blobio/mrc.py", line 98, in get
    data = n.fromfile(file_obj, dtype=self.dtype, count= n.prod(self.shape)).reshape(self.shape)
ValueError: total size of new array must be unchanged

Hi Elena,

This error may indicate that there is something unexpected with the .mrc file containing the raw particle images. Where did your particles come from? Were they outputs of a different job?

Best,
Ali H.

Hi Ali,

Thank you for your response.
My particles came from collaborators / from cryosparc (presumably v1).
No error is given when I import particle stacks into cryosparc v2. I examined box size for each stack and did not find any problems, otherwise I do not know how else I can quickly check these stacks.

Many thanks,
Elena

Has anyone been able to resolve this? I am getting the same error with 2D classification.

Sometimes the error occurs on iteration 3, sometimes it gets all the way to 10 iterations, sometimes it fails right away. Therefore I don’t know how it could be an issue with the raw input files.

Thanks!

I was having the same issue today on v2.11 and was able to resolve it by using the exposures blob from the Patch CTF Esitmation job rather than the exposures from the Extract from Micrographs job.

Hi @Ablakely,

Can you elaborate? What job were you connecting the exposure inputs to?

Yes, it was a 2D classification job.

Hi @Ablakely,

Sorry, I’m confused, the 2D Classification job doesn’t have “exposure” input slots?

You are right, sorry. It must have been an extract from micrographs job. I think the blob from the Inspect Particle Picks or Template Picker job was causing problems but using the outputs from the CTF estimation job fixed the issue. I can’t go back and check since I had to start over with a fresh database since then.

Hi @zehre, @JacqueFaylo, @Ablakely,

Are you still having this type of issue in any projects? We have potentially narrowed down the bug to the case where micrographs were imported from multiple different directories (e.g. you ran two different import jobs and then combined the micrographs together for processing including particle extraction). Was this the case when you were seeing these errors?

Please let us know.
Thanks!

Hi,

no I do not have this issue any more. I think its was caused by problematic mrc file(s)

I have not seen the error recently. My micrographs were imported from multiple directories, however I can’t say whether it was using a wildcard in the file name field or in fact from two separate imports as you say.

Yes, and my jobs are from combined micrographs of two import jobs!

I am getting this error when doing a 2D classification on WARP output. The difference between the import for this project, which gives this error, and other projects in which I did not give this error is that in this project the WARP output (goodparticles_ect.star file and particles folder) where copied from an external drive onto a server and the server files/directory was sourced for import. In the past when I didn’t have this error I had sourced the .star and particles right from the folder of the WARP output.

Hi @armbrustered,

Given the scenario the most likely thing that happened is that the .mrc file got corrupted or truncated during the transfer, and therefore it is not the correct length compared to the list of particles in the star file.
Is there a way you can check the header and length of the .mrc files, or compare against the originals in the WARP output dir?

Hi! I noticed some of my files were not the appropriate size so I am redoing the warp job to rewrite these files. It is likely an issue with the file creation.

Hi Everyone,

One potential cause for this error is a bug in cryoSPARC, and it has been fixed as of v2.15.0: